The first gender budgeting initiative was held in Bulgaria in 2005. The main goal was to start the process of transforming the national/local budgets in the country in order to become tools for achieving real gender equality.
For the purpose a BGBG (Bulgarian Gender Budgeting Group) was formed. The members of BGBG were: Katia Vladimirova- Professor in Economics in the University for National and World Economy in Sofia; Jovka Bankova - an Assistant in the University for National and World Economy in Sofia; Lilia Abadjieva - Chief Expert in the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy; Veselka Donkova and Evgenia Chapanova - experts in the Ministry of Finance; Genoveva Tisheva and Iliana Stoycheva from Bulgarian Gender Research Foundation; Ani Lyapcheva from Women's Alliance for Development and Stanimira Hadjimitova from Gender Project for Bulgaria Foundation.
BGBG members to receive basic knowledge for the philosophy of the application of gender approach in the budgetary process
- BGBG was formed after inviting different experts
- Different materials on gender budgeting were selected and translated by St. Hadjimitova (GPF) and Genoveva Tisheva and Iliana Stoycheva (BGRF). The main sources used were: "Budgeting and Equality" from Rhonda Sharp, UNIFEM; 2003; "Budgeting for All. Manual for Local Gender Budget Initiative" from Jacintha van Beveren, Thera van Osch and Sheila Quin, 2004 and those from the European Women's Lobby.
- Research was conducted (a desk research and a field work): "Cycle of Local Budget Elaboration" by Jovka Bankova. For the purpose it was arranged by GPF Ms Bankova to visit the Municipality of the town of Pernik (30 km west of Sofia) in order to take interviews from the administration on their practice in the local budget elaboration. This separate Report is enclosed. Nevertheless BGBG afterwards decided to focus the analyses not on the local budget (the financial sources for the purpose were not enough), this document is very valuable for the future steps to be undertaken by BGBG.
- Training was conducted for BGBG members in GPF premises by St. Hadjimitova (GPF) and Genoveva Tisheva and Iliana Stoycheva (BGRF). The training included multy-media presentation of basic knowledge on gender equality theory; basic theory of gender budgeting and different practical examples of such initiatives.
Objective II:To apply in practice the knowledge received conducting the first for the country gender budgeting initiative
- First budgeting initiative started - the Group decided to start with analyses of the "ACTIVE LABOUR MARKET POLICIES OF THE MINISTRY OF LABOUR AND SOCIAL POLICY: GENDER ANALYSES OF THE BUDGETS OF THE PROGRAMS AND MEASURES FOR UNEMPLOYMENT REDUCTION". This decision was influenced by the time and financing limitations. At the same time it was appropriate as a first step when there was not practical experience at all. The main actors in the analyses were Katia Vladimirova- Professor in Economics in the University for National and World Economy in Sofia; Jovka Bankova - an Assistant in the University for National and World Economy in Sofia; Lilia Abadjieva - Chief Expert in the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy;
The overall Report reed here
- Recommendations to decision-makers and a Plan of action for further initiatives were elaborated by the whole Group
Objective III: To lobby for introduction of the approach in practice
- Printing of Leaflet and its dissemination
This activity was contracted by GPF to be executed by the Women's Alliance for Development (WAD). They did the lay-off, organized the printing and at the moment they are organizing its distribution to all women's NGO members of the Equal Opportunities Network in the country. Numerous Leaflets will be distributed to decision makers and other participants in different our activities/meetings. For example, on February 18th the Liberal Institute in Politics is organizing a seminar in Plovdiv city on the topic "Increasing the Political Participation of Women" where St. Hadjimitova will be a lector. Another 5 seminars are expected to be held within 4 months in other towns on the same topic and they also will be used for dissemination of this information and knowledge.
- All the project results are to be presented to the Bulgarian Gender Equality Coalition (BGEqC) in April 2006.
First Gender Budgeting Innitiative in Bulgaria - report